Community

A Marvin Gaye / Pink Floyd collaboration?

1 of 2 Pages

Detroit, MI

Has anyone ever heard of such an project?

From My Marvin Story from Harvesting Heritage

To the three people reading this, I figured I???d drop my first story. Here goes:

I was an Intern back in the late 1970???s and early ???80s at a UK-based label called Harvest Heritage Records. Basically, this label was a subsidiary of Harvest Records, who put out a lot of seminal music in what I would call the ???Classic Era??? of music.

Harvest Heritage basically handled reissues of the major Harvest releases as well as smaller releases in the 70???s and on.

Fast forward to a couple months ago. I was digging through my storage unit, rummaging through a lot of my old records from the Heritage days when I came across something that I realized had never seen the light of day.

Now, in the early 1980???s, Marvin Gaye had relocated from here in the states out to Belgium, which isn???t far from London. At the time he was separating from Motown. I believe he was touring out one of his last records with them, the ???In Our Lifetime??? record, maybe. At this time, Pink Floyd was wrapping up some extra tour dates for their The Wall Tour. They had a four day run at Earl???s Court (in London), and planned on getting a lot of footage for the Documentary that they later released.

It just so happened that Marvin was in town with an off day from his tour and stopped in during stage set-up and rehearsals. Apparently, something was worked out as to get him on stage performing with Pink Floyd. The next night at Earl???s Court, Marvin came out and performed ???Let???s Get it On??? over ???Shine on You Crazy Diamond???. I???ll never forget it.

Fast Forward a bit, and Marvin and Roger (Waters) begin kicking around the idea of recording some material together. Now at the time, Marvin is pissed with Motown and decides he wants to re-record some of these songs over an entirely different canvas. So Marvin and Roger decide to collide some of their favorite songs together. Kind of like what these DJs do with these ???Mash-Up??? records, only they???re bringing in the instruments and everything.

So they knock the record out really quick. Everyone digs it. Since these songs already existed, Harvest viewed it as a re-issue of sorts and passed it along to Harvest Heritage to take care of the details. Unfortunately, none of the Marvin songs or images we wanted to use could get clearance from Motown???s lawyers. That isn???t to say the records weren???t pressed up, they just couldn???t be released.

Ok, so fast-forward to this past autumn. I???m digging through my storage unit. I have TONS of records in here, as well as some keepsakes from my Record Label interning days. Needless to say I came across one of the rare copies of the Marvin Gaye and Pink Floyd Record. Obviously this would never get cleared to sell. I thought about eBay, but I just couldn???t bring myself to sell out the music like that.

So recently during the holidays, I???ve had some time off. And since my nephew is in town visiting, I figured I???d ask him to help me put the vinyl record on my computer and turn the songs into mp3s. He???s helping me upload picture of the album cover. I might have some footage in here of the live performance as well.

If you???re reading this, feel free to spread the good music. Check back. I hope to have all the music up by Christmas-time.
You must be logged in to Reply.

no need to be pimped

Out Digging

I'm taking bets this is total bullshit.....

The only mention of this Earl's Court performance is here......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requiem_for_a_Dream_(album)

^ I was just going to say...

I'm going to call bullsh*t strictly based on the image of the cover. Looks like fake ringwear!

I'd love to be proven wrong!

And not only that...but in the time period that this story takes place, wouldn't Pink Floyd have already left the Harvest label for Columbia? Or were they still with Harvest in the UK?

haltown

damn....if this is true, its a pretty crazy story none the less, i'll be watching to see if any mp3's get uploaded "Christmas-time"

love to hear what that collab would sound like...

have a word.

Organic Sock Monkey

I have a hard time believing this - since when did Roger Waters ever "knock a record out really quick?"

Suspiciously blurry photo also.

(among the numerous other implausibilities)

White Entitlement Rap

FAKE FINDS ALERT!!!

climax into the vortex

gambit - 20 December 2010 04:10 PM
Now, in the early 1980???s, Marvin Gaye had relocated from here in the states out to Belgium, which isn???t far from London.

Not sure I'd even want to hear this colab, but I did enjoy this little geography lesson on some :orly:

I thought this was about a new Hollertronix mixtape.

^^^ expect a Marvin Floyd album done by some kid in his bedroom soon.

This is complete bullshit, but I give him midget props for his marketing.

If he said he found a bootlegged recording of the concert where MG supposedly took the stage with PF, I might've believed that. Still, I read the whole thing.

respect my trendsetting

So, it never came out but somehow miraculously ended up getting mastered, lacquered, metal plated, had stampers and and then a 4/4 full color run cover?

Rad

Chicago

= another terrible mash-up.

bringin' the pain like a french baker

if this is real, i'll post the full audio from the rare nick drake concert where the his backing band was the venga boys.

no need to be pimped

Whatevs, dudes. Haterz gon' hate. Yeah, there's no Gaye Floyd record. And laser-mounted dinosaurs aren't fighting for dominion over the hollow earth as we speak.

smile

Detroit, MI

day - 21 December 2010 02:37 AM
^^^ expect a Marvin Floyd album done by some kid in his bedroom soon.

This is complete bullshit, but I give him midget props for his marketing.

LOL @ "midget props"

Chicago

vintageinfants - 21 December 2010 03:42 PM
if this is real, i'll post the full audio from the rare nick drake concert where the his backing band was the venga boys.

Bryter Layter?

You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house.

I actually have a copy of this record...

filed alongside my Mardi Gras w/o the bells 12" promo

Dry Shitties, focusing on PDX

Everything from this tour has been documented and archived for years, a tour that was 30 years ago. No.

1 of 2 Pages