Community

New Music / Release Thread

8 of 18 Pages

I realise this is shameless but I recently started a label and put out a record from Jon Phonics which fits the style of the stuff posted in this thread so I thought i'd post up some snippets:

It came out a couple of weeks ago on vinyl and today digitally: http://prismtracks.bandcamp.com/

End of spam.

p.s. That Kuedo album is nice, and I have high hopes for Evian Christ.
You must be logged in to Reply.

LDNCTY

ahh thats your label shears? dope release.

BCN

Thom Yorke?

Ulysses31nicholas - 20 February 2012 04:25 PM
ahh thats your label shears? dope release.

Yep, cheers for the Kudos hook up and glad you like the release!

One of Soulstrut's foremost purveyors of ghetto re

Shears - 20 February 2012 03:27 PM
I realise this is shameless but I recently started a label and put out a record from Jon Phonics which fits the style of the stuff posted in this thread so I thought i'd post up some snippets:

It came out a couple of weeks ago on vinyl and today digitally: http://prismtracks.bandcamp.com/

End of spam.

p.s. That Kuedo album is nice, and I have high hopes for Evian Christ.

Let me add my congrats on setting up a label Shears and this actually sounds like it may be up my street from the snippets.

FALSE WONKA

Duderonomy - 20 February 2012 05:21 PM
Thom Yorke?

Jamiroquai called, he wants his hat back.

BCN

Beatnik/Ulysses31 in effect.

El Chuco, Texas, USA

that sbtrkt remix is really great and Mr Beatnick killin' it too

LDNCTY

cheers lads, it's just got "song of the day" over at iD magazine.. vibes. http://m.soundcloud.com/i-d-online-1/i-d-online-mr-beatnick-sun

lots of good bits about, i'll whack some up in the next couple. Jon Phonics is smashing it for sure.

BCN

Grandfather - 29 February 2012 04:52 PM
that sbtrkt remix is really great

I love the rave-vibe; with the child sample, it takes me back to Altern8 and The Prodigy, plus the analogue-y keys are warm and full, yet industrial at the same time. It's great.

and Mr Beatnick killin' it too

Yes, think he's reason to be pleased with himself on that one. It will be kopped.

wrong place right time

Polycount

Grandfather - 29 February 2012 04:52 PM
Mr Beatnick killin' it

Indeed, nice tune. Putting "Carry On, Turn Me On" to good use.

BCN

Burial & Four Tet:

I'm not really up to speed with anything Four Tet has done in recent years but is it safe to assume that his main contributions were the keys layered over the top of a standard Burial "soundscape"? I like the slow multi-layering around the 3.30 mark but then it fades out just as I was getting interested which is ironic considering I've been moaning about his over-long releases. Either way, I'm beginning to get the depressing feeling that I'm done with Burial for the moment; haven't really been very excited about anything new I've heard from him in quite some time now.

Something a bit different and cross board pollination, anyone listening to the new Julia Holter? I'm warming to it more each listen as I manage to control my knee jerk dislike of the music based on what I think a lot of the listeners would be like. This isn't my favourite song but there's a very limited amount available on youtube at the moment:

unicorn futurism

not sure about that julia holter track... a bit too enya-esqe for my ears. but i'm glad i'm not the only one who has a irrational dislike for some music based entirely on a (probably mistaken) idea of what the listeners are like.

this might be a bit too balearic for the post-dubstep/whatever crew around here, but i'm feeling this:

Ha ha yeah a friend of mine who is himself a self denying hipster described it as "C*nt music" which seemed harsh but understandable. To be fair that is probably the most clannad-esque moment of the album and one of those times where it verges on cleverness over content - I would have posted the video to the livelier (and better) In The Same Room but the horrendous video to it overrides the beauty of the song.

Not sure about that Kindness track, it's still a sound that I'm adjusting to liking but at the same time anything with an eighties vibe kind of has me at hello.

BCN

Junior - 05 March 2012 12:55 PM
I'm not really up to speed with anything Four Tet has done in recent years but is it safe to assume that his main contributions were the keys layered over the top of a standard Burial "soundscape"?
[...] I'm beginning to get the depressing feeling that I'm done with Burial for the moment; haven't really been very excited about anything new I've heard from him in quite some time now.

Yeah, it's a bit samey, but will get lots of hype I expect.

I'm not liking the tunes-for-Berghain direction that the post-Dubstep sound has taken. Four Tet's last solo single was some pure techno thing that left me cold, and Caribou/Daphni seems to be heading the same way with his Junior Boys remix and this thing:

It's well done, but I don't like it as much as stuff that either contains samples or somebody playing instruments.

unicorn futurism

i just listened to that daphni remix and thought it was pretty good (and not really pure techno to my ears). but i do think that a lot of the post-dubstep artists are jumping on the 4/4 or house bandwagon...

while i've been doing some work this morning i've been playing this album from sandro perri, and if your into slightly leftfield, folky with some electronics you might like it:

I think that Caribou remix is ok but the second half's descent into Acid just leaves me a bit cold. A remix is the place to get that kind of thing out your system though so eager to hear some new music from him. A lot of the recent stuff I've been hearing from many of the post-dubstep artists has definitely been on a throwback tip. I like some of it but I'd also like to see them pushing the boundaries more, it all feels a bit safe.

That Sandro Perri is a strange one. I really liked the first track and the Shuggie influence but never really listened to the rest of the album. Should probably go back and revisit it.

Really need to pick up some new electronic releases.

BCN

Junior - 05 March 2012 03:03 PM

There's some cracking represses of early (and v rare) Various Production stuff in at Boomkat. Worth a gander.

Go and laugh in your own country

If any of you feel up to setting aside whatever prejudices you have concerning "jazz-rap", that Robert Glasper Experiment album is definitely worth investigating. In fact, the emceeing (of which there isn't much) is the least impressive aspect of it, and really shouldn't be taken as a measure of the album as a whole.

BCN

Mmm, Jazz-rap. Paging Jimster.
I think I've just lost interest in rap to the extent that it would probably put me off the music.

Just had a listen to some clips, and while it's alright, the version of Cherish The Day <<< the Pal Joey remix of Sade.

Duderonomy - 07 March 2012 11:51 AM

There's some cracking represses of early (and v rare) Various Production stuff in at Boomkat. Worth a gander.

Cheers Duder, been really lazy at looking at the releases on boomkat so will check it out. Any particular recommendations appreciated.

Sadly , despite my best efforts, I don't think I would be able to listen without prejudice to Jazz-Rap, the wounds inflicted during the nineties have been very slow to heal.

BCN

I think the Actress remix of Lost appeared on the Theo Parrish mix For Suggested Use pt 2; it's a weird, late-night dubby Techno sort of thing. I'd like to hear a competent scratch DJ over the beat to Chief, and the Trycycle EP is pretty good if you can ignore the last vocal cut.

Duderonomy - 07 March 2012 12:58 PM
Junior - 07 March 2012 12:38 PM

Cheers Duder, been really lazy at looking at the releases on boomkat so will check it out. Any particular recommendations appreciated.

I think the Actress remix of Lost appeared on the Theo Parrish mix For Suggested Use pt 2; it's a weird, late-night dubby Techno sort of thing. I'd like to hear a competent scratch DJ over the beat to Chief, and the Trycycle EP is pretty good if you can ignore the last vocal cut.

Excellent, checking them out now. Also see they've released the Legowelt album on vinyl. Really enjoyed that last year but don't know if it was 36 quid's worth of enjoyment.

BCN

That was the one released for free @ 320?
It was ok, hope that his generous promotional stunt doesn't blow up in his face. ??40 with p+p? Sorry bub.

Duderonomy - 07 March 2012 02:12 PM
Junior - 07 March 2012 02:07 PM
Duderonomy - 07 March 2012 12:58 PM
Junior - 07 March 2012 12:38 PM

Excellent, checking them out now. Also see they've released the Legowelt album on vinyl. Really enjoyed that last year but don't know if it was 36 quid's worth of enjoyment.

That was the one released for free @ 320?
It was ok, hope that his generous promotional stunt doesn't blow up in his face. ??40 with p+p? Sorry bub.

Yep, one and the same. I think the release free digital/charge for vinyl model can work but six months later and at 40 quid I'm afraid I won't be biting even if it was on the heaviest vinyl known to man.

BCN

When did yootoob change it's upload limit to an hour or so?

everythingremainsraw

kind of liked this one, but then that one track??s not enough for me to cop that 12"

BCN

Duderonomy - 07 March 2012 04:35 PM
When did yootoob change it's upload limit to an hour or so?

Dude put up a 320 for DL of this mix here: http://soundcloud.com/solitude/solitude-synkro-mix-320kbps/s-9lT7l

On that Burial/nightbus music vibe.

8 of 18 Pages