Community

Shook Ones Sample Source

2 of 4 Pages

i think i meant finding out what samples havoc used in 1995 isnt going to change your life..and if it does you have problems.
You must be logged in to Reply.

San Francisco

speakmumbles - 19 March 2011 07:12 PM
i think i meant finding out what samples havoc used in 1995 isnt going to change your life..and if it does you have problems.

Of course it's not going to change anyone's life, but that doesn't make it any less interesting to find out.

Cheer up, buckaroo!

nothing bad ever happens to me

i think i meant finding out what samples havoc used in 1995 is going to change your life..and if it does you have dedication.

are you all saying no one (well except Havoc) knew about this until now ?

Got Mo Comic Books Than A Mutha Fucka......

Thanks for posting. I always like finding out samples. I'd still like to know Mobb Deep - Eye for an Eye (Your Beef is mines. There's also a ton of early stuff from RZA that's not known from the Raekwon, Method Man, ODB, Ghost, GZA albums that isn't known.

It's also funny how people have Uber raer crates but nobody knew Ice Cream and Shook Ones , and they end up being from an Earl Klugh and Herbie Hancock records.

p.s. ameldabee i didn't know you posted on here, I'be listening to those sample mixes on youtube for like the last two weeks. They're done very well. Especially like the Mobb Deep and Beatnuts. I Look forward to hearing some new ones.

haltown

FunkyFlatulent - 19 March 2011 08:24 PM

It's also funny how people have Uber raer crates but nobody knew Ice Cream and Shook Ones , and they end up being from an Earl Klugh and Herbie Hancock records..

^^ this is what more or less surprises me...it seems odd that it took all this time for someone to stumble across it especially given that Herbie has been sampled many times...and its not a rare or expensive record either..

Paris, France and São Paulo, Braziou

FunkyFlatulent - 19 March 2011 08:24 PM

p.s. ameldabee i didn't know you posted on here, I'be listening to those sample mixes on youtube for like the last two weeks. They're done very well. Especially like the Mobb Deep and Beatnuts. I Look forward to hearing some new ones.

There you go Sir, my latest, full of new ish'/samples -> http://soundcloud.com/ameldabee/sets
Not me putting the mixes on youtube though...

Ps : sorry for the thread hijack ; and I bought that V.S.O.P.'s LP years ago, and never ever heard that loop till today, crazzzy...

Two Ron Toe

I now take a dump much easier (Less straining) knowing this.

You watch, a without the bells will show up and we can finally shut down the breaks and the strut.

Uncover this one next please:

hertzhog - 19 March 2011 11:45 AM
Mjukis - 19 March 2011 11:32 AM
None of the recreations get the pitch right, but it sure sounds like the correct sample!

I slowed it down by 9 semitones, played it on top of the instrumental and it sounded close enough to me. Besides, I don't think Havoc would have been too concerned with pitch-perfect tuning at that point.

Yeah, it's a spur-of-the-moment-beat, probably. Pretty hard to recreate it exactly.

Wasn't Black Helicopters some chinese or thai record? Doesn't really narrow it down, I know, but I thought people knew that one.

Yeah, can't remember dudes name but I found out earlier that it's up on WhoSampled.com.

"VSOP" was one of my first "finds".

Juniper

waxjunky - 20 March 2011 06:32 AM
"VSOP" was one of my first "finds".

Hope you didn't "find" it in my crates. What happened to mines. anger.

Herm - 20 March 2011 12:24 AM
Uncover this one next please:

It's here, but unfortunately the sample source video is down.

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/60228/Non Phixion-Black Helicopters_Eisaku Ohkawa-Yu No Machi Elegy/

It is the right sample source. But Havoc only used one sample out of that piano, not two. As far as I understood it right, the guys at the-breaks.com said he used the beginning sounds and one part which begins 4 seconds after the start.

I think he only used the part which starts after 4 seconds. If you listen closely to Shook Ones Pts.2, you will hear a crackle/static noise, always starting on the 1 of every bar. This noise sounds pitched too. He had a crackle/static on the 1 of the sample which was pitched too as he pichted the sample.

The first bar of Shock Ones Pt.2 is pitched minus 14 semitones and the second is the same sample pitched minus 9 semitone.

I did a tutorial on that sample which you can listen to here.

I tweeked the EQ on that piano too so that you can hear that it is the original sample source.

Hawkeyes - Mobb Deep - Shook Ones Pt 2 Sample Tutorial.mp3 - 1.63MB

Peace
Hawkeye

Deleted

Mass

good job hawkeye. i was having trouble hearing it.\

Too bad I only like disco music...the classics don

jaymack - 20 March 2011 09:39 PM
good job hawkeye. i was having trouble hearing it.\

Agreed this answered it...I also had a hard time hearing it till this.

Hawkeye - 20 March 2011 09:25 PM
It is the right sample source. But Havoc only used one sample out of that piano, not two. As far as I understood it right, the guys at the-breaks.com said he used the beginning sounds and one part which begins 4 seconds after the start.

I think he only used the part which starts after 4 seconds. If you listen closely to Shook Ones Pts.2, you will hear a crackle/static noise, always starting on the 1 of every bar. This noise sounds pitched too. He had a crackle/static on the 1 of the sample which was pitched too as he pichted the sample.

The first bar of Shock Ones Pt.2 is pitched minus 14 semitones and the second is the same sample pitched minus 9 semitone.

I did a tutorial on that sample which you can listen to here.

I tweeked the EQ on that piano too so that you can hear that it is the original sample source.

Hawkeyes - Mobb Deep - Shook Ones Pt 2 Sample Tutorial.mp3 - 1.63MB

Peace
Hawkeye

I admire you for this, Hawkeye! Hip Hop nerdery at its' best!

2 of 4 Pages