The Onion Picks 10 Slept-On Hip-Hop albums

corny white dudes hating on other corny white dudes......

krusty.gif
you sound white

postmodern.gif
 
Vaguely related foolishness: Village Voice on Mos Def

It is December 7, 2006. Brooklyn-based rapper and Emmy-nominated actor Mos Def is up for a Grammy in the Best Rap Solo Performance category for "Undeniable," a track from his not-yet-released third LP, True Magic. It's the 33-year-old's second Grammy nod, though you'd think there'd be more, seeing as the Black Power rhymes over blaxploitation palettes on his 1999 solo debut, Black on Both Sides, preceded by his guest appearances with Native Tongues and his tenure in pivotal rap unit Black Star (along with Talib Kweli) cemented him years ago as a monumental figure in hip-hop history, Black.
 
All this talk about top 10s and rankings, it's completely irrelevant. Can't we just sit back and cherish each of these human creations with the tenderness of a mother looking over her newborn baby?
 
Glad to see Charizma & PBW no.1
IMO 1 of top 20 rap LP's all time.
This post represents exactly what's wrong with the internet.
lol

And don't forget I'm the dude that was overly enthusiastic about Jurassic 5 in my early years on the Strut. Also, that Rjd2 show was one of the most memorable live performances I've seen (this still holds true, cuz he really was dope).
 
Glad to see Charizma & PBW no.1
IMO 1 of top 20 rap LP's all time.
This post represents exactly what's wrong with the internet.

When Top 10 Lists Clash

Tonight at 10 Eastern / 9 Central

"But I said 'IMO'!?!?"


To Franklin Rauxevillz : I unhumbly submit that the internet is a science,
while your "streets" are merely a passing sham resembling religion.

And I thought you were a man of reason.
 
Glad to see Charizma & PBW no.1
IMO 1 of top 20 rap LP's all time.
This post represents exactly what's wrong with the internet.
Dog, if you go to Stonesthrow.com's messageboard this is the norm and perhaps even tame.
 
Glad to see Charizma & PBW no.1
IMO 1 of top 20 rap LP's all time.
This post represents exactly what's wrong with the internet. oh cmon at least its a good album
fishscale acclaim is whats wrong w/ the internet
 
Glad to see Charizma & PBW no.1
IMO 1 of top 20 rap LP's all time.
This post represents exactly what's wrong with the internet.
Dog, if you go to Stonesthrow.com's messageboard this is the norm and perhaps even tame.
Stonesthrow's message boards = exactly what's wrong with the internet

PBW seems like somebody that would be pretty cool on a personal level. I wonder if, in his private moments, he's at all embarassed over the monster that he has created...
 
PBW seems like somebody that would be pretty cool on a personal level. I wonder if, in his private moments, he's at all embarassed over the monster that he has created...
I hear Cartoon Network has a pretty solid psychological services department.
 
I listen to Charizma and PBW's album a lot more than I do Fishscale, which to me is worth it for maybe 3-4 songs at best and is pretty boring on the whole. Charizma is like a naive, optimistic Big L and is really kind of charming.
 
Glad to see Charizma & PBW no.1
IMO 1 of top 20 rap LP's all time.
This post represents exactly what's wrong with the internet.
Dog, if you go to Stonesthrow.com's messageboard this is the norm and perhaps even tame.
Stonesthrow's message boards = exactly what's wrong with the internet

PBW seems like somebody that would be pretty cool on a personal level. I wonder if, in his private moments, he's at all embarassed over the monster that he has created...

I've wondered the same thing. He's probally is a little bit, but I'm pretty sure he quickly shakes that right off when he realizes he's making a living by running a successfull record label supported by "those types". Probally one of the VERY few succesfull indie rap labels.

but yeah dog, only stonesthrow dudes are the ones that have corn-ball fans (SARCASM). I think the only artists that don't have at least some ammount of dorky fans and the ones that don't have any at all. Shit, having nerds and white folks is like a measuring stick for success (IMO)
 
Glad to see Charizma & PBW no.1
IMO 1 of top 20 rap LP's all time.
This post represents exactly what's wrong with the internet. oh cmon at least its a good album
fishscale acclaim is whats wrong w/ the internet
C'mon, deej. Yes, Ghost gets jocked disproportionately by bloggers and this album--which doesn't really stand out from the rest of his catalog--did receive suspicious acclaim online.

But, at the end of the day, the dude is still one of the alltime greats who now has a very limited audience in the real world, despite the fact that hasn't slipped creatively--I can't be mad that certain people in certain corners of the internet are jocking him.
 
I can't be mad that certain people in certain corners of the internet are jocking him.
5 million previous posts of your own say that you not only can, but definitely should.
 
See to me charizma-praise is less annoying cuz for all the fringe dudes who are like 'this obscure cali rapper who never even released an album til 10 years after he died = GOAT!' aren't exactly having much of an impact beyond their little sheltered message board, so its really hard for me to be mad at that. Whereas this kind of Ghostface jocking is kind of annoying just because its really widespread, and 1/2 of it is people who don't listen to rap and the other half is people who are like 'if ghostface shits it i will eat it' willing to take whatever he does because he's like, a genius. Which he is!!! Supreme Clientele, even Pretty Toney and those hidden darts mixtapes, ironman, whatever. But to me Fishscale was like 'hit all the critical buttons,' pete rock beat for the throwback heads, j dilla beat for the underground kids, mf doom beat for the crossover indie dudes, cartoonish track with Raekwon about crack for the OB4CL fans, throw a lazy verse about being underwater and presto, classic record. People finally started to come around when More Fish dropped, but I was already burned once.

Not saying there isn't some redeeming shit in there - "Back Like That," I think, was a good single. It just seemed like every track was either a rehash or a cynical contrivence for some of that gnarls barkley money.

i know this isnt a popular opinion but uh don't take it personally, gfk fans.
 
Of course, as we all already know...

faux = one of those "fringe dudes" whose capacity for actually liking rap music holds no more than maybe 4 current and positively overground artists at any given time.